Wednesday, June 10, 2015

The Story Of An Hour

Final Reflection:

1. When I read the final sentences of The Story Of An Hour for the 1st time, I didn't understand it completely until I read it with students from my class and got their interpretation from those last sentences. It was clear that the wife was happy to hear her husbands death. as I read the story for a 2nd time, the wife knew she was finally free from her husband. She was finally able to live her life the way she wanted to live it. When I got to the part where they mentioned "a joy that kills" I knew that in that sudden moment when she walked out of her room and saw that her husband was still alive she would have to go back to conforming to the life she had with her husband that she suffered a heart attack and died.

2. The message that I got from the story was to not settle for something or someone who makes you feel like you have to live for them. This reminds  me of the famous speech my father gives me every time I see him. He tells me he wants me to be a professional someday and if his time was to ever come before he sees me succeed in life he wants to know that I won't stop doing what I have to do for me, live the life I want to live and not settle for anything or anyone. Reading a story of an hour opened my eyes to knowing that I can never settle to live for someone else other than myself.


3. Yes, I have this one friend Kimberly who has been my friend for a decade now and I learn to realize that I know her more than she knows herself. She has been involved in a relationship with a man who is 10x older than she is. Because of their age difference, I can see that he takes the fun out of her. Over the years they been together she learned to conform to his life style and she now does things and lives her life pleasing his needs 1st before hers.

4. This story relates to conformity because the wife conformed to living her life style due to her husbands lifestyle. She was living his life instead of her own, doing the things he only agreed with. That going hand in hand with my friend Kimberly who seems to be going down the same exact lane.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful reflection. You analyzed, evaluated and connected it to the real world. Beautifully written as well.
    4-4-4-4

    ReplyDelete